Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Miller "High Life" Sturges

So far I'm doing pretty good at this blog thing... GO ME!

I forgot to mention in my last post for Bria's 1 month that she also got to meet her cousin Amy Ansley, Great Aunt Georgia, Great Uncle Randy and Great Grandma Mammy. The pictures of you with Mammy are on daddy's phone so I unfortunately can't post any! :(

Now on to the main man of my post today. Puppy dog Miller.


The week of the KSU spring game Miller and I had gone over to Jordan's to play and hang out with the family while Brian golfed. When it was time to go home Stu took Miller and I back to our house. Once we arrived I opened the car door and Mill jumped out, just like he always does when on car rides. Unfortunately we were in mom and dad's big expedition and the jump down was a little bigger than what he was use too and on the way down he hit his back left leg on the running board. Stu heard it from the other side of the car but Miller took off like nothing had even happened, so I wasn't too concerned. 

Later that evening he started limping around, really favoring that leg. I felt his leg to see if it had a bump or something and he would barely let me touch it, but would let me put an ice pack on it. He wouldn't even jump up on our bed without some assistance so I knew something must of been wrong. I started texting Brian about it, with me being pregnant I started to feel really bad and honestly even started to cry but Brian assured me everything would be ok and it was probably just bruised. We even talked about picking Brian up from Aggieville and taking him to KSU vet clinic. 

I did end up going to pick Brian up and took Miller with me, he of course was acting fine and excited to be on another car ride so we just let it go. After that off and on he would favor the leg, limp around, and wait for us to assist him when trying to get up on our bed or the couch. Which if you know Miller that is not his normal behavior as he is a wild dog and usually running and jumping on anything he can get his little paws on. 

So, we decided to take him to KSU vet and get things checked out just to be safe. Well we were wrong when thinking it was just bruised, at this point it was a partial tear and we were to keep him crated and on pain medicine for about 4 weeks. HA, yeah right that will not happen with our dog without feeling like we are torturing him!

We tried to restrict him as much as possible and gave him his pain meds and eventually he seemed to act fine again. 

Then we brought Bria home! Not to mention our house was all boxed up and a mess, so I think the little guy was confused. He wasn't sure why his house was in boxes and why there was this new tiny human taking away all his attention, not to mention screaming at all hours of the day keeping him from getting his much needed naps! 

He really started limping and got to the point he wouldn't even use his leg anymore. So, the Friday we moved mom took me to Manhattan so I could take Miller to the vet and get it checked again. Unfortunately they informed us he had fully torn the ACL and the only way to fix it without causing him arthritis and more problems down the road was surgery. 

We gathered all the information we could on this surgery and weighed our options on what to do. We even looked into taking him to Nebraska for the surgery because we got a quote that would be cheaper than KSU. After Brian got back from Oregon we decided to just take him to KSU and do the surgery. 

He had the surgery last Tuesday August 5, 2014. I actually had to drop him off that Monday so they could run test and make sure he was healthy enough for the surgery. Got a call Monday night and everything was set to go and he would have surgery at some point Tuesday afternoon. They said they would call us once the surgery was done unless something goes wrong during and they need to speak with us. During this time we decided to paint our living room/entry way so I kept myself busy doing that and taking care of Bria or I was going to go nuts sitting around thinking of my puppy all day. Brian eventually came home around 3:30/4 and I was getting anxious because I hadn't heard from KSU, but they had called Brian and informed him Miller was out of surgery, everything went fine and he was in recovery! 

I felt so much better except we couldn't pick him up until Thursday. I think the last time I was away from Miller longer than that was our Honeymoon and he was with Jordan then so I wasn't worried at all, but for some reason being alone in a kennel at the vet worried me. 

I went and picked him up Thursday and knew he was happy to be escaping that joint but not happy with me for taking him there. He gave Brian a ton of kisses when he got home from work and would stick his nose up at me. Luckily things have changed and he likes me again, but still not as much as he likes Brian. 

Now we are just on the road to recovery of 8 weeks. Which means pain medicines, physical therapy and being kenneled except to go to the bathroom. He can get out and sit on our laps as long as that is all he is doing, which he has a few times. We just have to be really careful that he doesn't jump down, jump on the back of the couch or anything else!!! 

1 week down..... 7 more to go!!!!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment